Thursday, February 17, 2011

Partners

Working together has it's issues (mainly, when do you stop working?), but it's generally been a happy occasion to discover our roles, talents and responsibilities within the working relationship. Neither of us was proven in this sort of work before marriage. We grew up surrounded by architectural and design themes, which Luke later went on to study, but we had to learn what decisions we could entrust to the other. Our first home and the condos we helped to build provided a chance for us to see what the other did well, and has enabled us to find a natural allocation of roles with this new house. Luke has been site manager and had to do no small amount of backbreaking work. Additionally, he's chosen trim, doors and the roof, and I've chosen colors, fabrics, and cabinets, while it's been a collaborative effort on finishes like appliances, lighting and plumbing. I doubt you ever have the perfect house first try and I think this is a very well thought out design plan, but the things I would redo even at this early stage are when one of us has interfered with the other's sphere. I wish I had let Luke put crown in the master bedroom. It's a little thing of course and of no great significance to the sell of the house - the master is still beautiful - but I think it could have been improved had I let the "right" person chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment