Monday, February 7, 2011

Master Bath

I'm not sure how to go about organizing the posting. I think I'll likely settle for a room-by-room approach, but forgive me if I change the structure mid-project.

My favorite room thus far is the master bath. Sometimes you do things and they happily exceed your expectation. The master bath is proving to be just that room. I'll provide a before picture today and what will be an all-but-drapery complete picture by Friday or so. Here's a breakdown of what was, what is and what will be.

The master bath had a tiny single vanity and sconces. Both are quite nice and in keeping with the house that we foresee, but they are completely insufficient for the master.We're moving the sconces to the main-floor guest bath and the vanity to the upstairs bath. The tile in the shower matched the very colorful slate tile on the floor and it was accompanied by triangular shiny tiles and a mirror (which is odd, but far better than the mirrored toilet enclosure we saw in one house!). The walls and ceiling had the most horrendous purplish silver gray paint. I am all for gray, but the wash-style metallic paint job was the messiest thing I've seen. We've kept the floor slates, but replaced the bath with oversized white subway tiles with gray grout and honey-comb Carrera marble flooring. (We found the subway tiles on clearance at Floor & Decor and we payed about $2.40 a square foot rather than the $8 I had been quoted at a tile store.) The walls are painted Seapearl by Benjamin Moore, an "is it white, stone or gray?" sort of color. The vanity is a double with a espresso finish and this week we install Carrera marble counter tops, oversized back-splash, white ceramic sinks and these fixtures: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Governor-Widespread-Chrome-Bathroom-Faucet/3028817/product.html The sconces are gorgeous, but I can't find a picture online, so you'll have to just wait for Friday's photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment